Monday, May 12, 2014

Osteoarthritis: Roosevelt Vet on the Hudson Solves Mysterious Licking and Itching in My Dog

When we moved from Manhattan to Beacon, I was leaving my longtime and most trusted vet for my dog and two cats. In fact, my dog has saved my cat when she was a kitten because my dog obsessively licked her ear until the fur faded in color. Turns out my cat had a polyp in her ear, and my dog, Gerdy, knew it.

When Gerdy was licking her own self over the past few years, either biting itching or licking, I chalked it up to her "seasonal allergies" that vets had come to call it. When it didn't go away, I had her tested for mange, but she was all clear. Totally perplexed, I'd ramble on and on about Gerdy's itching to Libby at Beacon Barkery, who suggested an allergy to chicken. So I pulled all chicken out of her diet, which was really tricky because chicken is in everything, including the cat food that Gerdy sneak eats.

The itching subsided, but she was still licking her paws and ankles. I went on a 12hour road trip to Ohio and Gerdy had her own back seat in the car. The night after our arrival, Gerdy couldn't get up. Her legs wouldn't work and I thought she was having a stroke. At 1am, I rushed her over to an animal emergency room at Ohio State University, where 4 vet students took her out of my car on a gurney (on which Gerdy promptly stood straight up and I had to promise that she really wasn't walking).

It was in that emergency room that the doctors told me that Gerdy had a lot of arthritis which had crippled her body, and after the long road trip of not moving, her body was in pain. They had me feel her back, which felt rocky. I had no idea. I'd been going to another vet in the Hudson Valley, but they had never mentioned arthritis. It was then that I went in search of a new vet to immediately start a new system for Gerdy's arthritis so that she would live in less pain, and to stop the progression of the arthritis.

Roosevelt Vet on the Hudson had been on Main Street for a while, and I called them up to inquire about an appointment for Gerdy and her arthritis. Emilia, Roosevelt Vet on the Hudson's office manager, let me know that one of the vets there, Dr. Tamara McArdle, was very knowledgeable in osteoarthritis and could see Gerdy right away.

The first question Dr. McArdle asked me was: "Is she licking her joints? Because if she is, she could be licking where her joints are in pain from arthritis." Dr. McArdle gave me a handout she'd written about how to identify arthritis, ways to treat it, and how to prevent it. I learned that “Osteoarthritis” or “degenerative
joint disease” is painful inflammation and cartilage loss in one or more joints. Osteoarthritis can affect any joint in the body – even in the back or neck.  In dogs the hips or knees are most commonly affected. Dogs may show joint pain by limping, having difficulty with exercise, or just “slowing down.”  Early on there may be no symptoms. Trouble is, Gerdy was 13 when I first noticed it, and according to Dr. McArdle and the OSU vets, Gerdy could have been taking joint supplements years prior to help her keep her cartilage healthy and cause less damage.

We started Gerdy on a regimen of pain medicine, an antihistamine (for the mystery itching until the chicken was gone from her system), and Dasuquin®, a joint supplement that has glucosamine and chondroitin, which are both components of healthy cartilage, and Roosevelt Vet carried a chicken free flavor in their office! Dr. McArdle worked very closely with me to monitor the pain meds, test Gerdy's blood, and suggest alternatives when it appeared that Gerdy's kidneys were too old to handle the preferred pain medicine of NSAID pain relievers (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), and needed something milder. We are currently considering an injection of Adequan®, which is a polysulfated glycosaminoglycan (PSGAG) which slows the progression of arthritis and aids in joint healing.  Because it is given by injection rather than by mouth, the molecules can reach the joints without having to survive digestion first.  Adequan® is initially given twice weekly for 4 weeks then as often as needed for comfort (often monthly).

What has been key, however, is the joint supplement Roosevelt Vet on the Hudson recommended. In pet stores, there are a lot of joint supplements one can buy. So I asked Dr. McArdle what makes her recommendation of Dasuquin® so special, and what can we watch out for when researching other brands? She says: "Independent testing has shown most glucosamine products (human and animal) to be pretty good about containing as much glucosamine as advertised.  Chondroitin, however, is not so consistent - many products (even high cost human products) fail to meet the labeled levels of chondroitin when independently tested.  Cosequin® & Dasuquin® are the two veterinary brands I generally highlight because I know that what they claim is in the bag actually is.  Because chondroitin-containing products are much more expensive than glucosamine-only products, I would encourage careful research before buying any other chondroitin product.  Consumer Reports is a good place to start."

Dr. McArdle and Roosevelt Vet on the Hudson are also "big believers" of Omega 3 fatty acids (i.e. fish oil) because of their anti-inflammatory properties and are helpful for joint disease as well as skin, brain, and heart health.  Dr. McArdle believes that Omega 6 (i.e. corn oil) or Omega 9 (i.e. olive oil) supplements are less beneficial.  A high quality purified EPA / DHA supplement such as Free Form Snip Tips will be more effective than a regular “fish oil” pill.  EPA / DHA supplements are also generally preferred over flax oil, another common source of Omega 3’s.

In terms of how to purchase Omega 3s, Dr. McArdle issues this word-to-the-wise: "Omega3's are best supplemented rather than being included in the dog food since Omega3 fatty acids break down in contact with air and light.  So even if they are in the bag when they make the food, they may not be present at adequate levels by the time your pet eats the food. The dosage of DHA & EPA recommended for pets with arthritis is often much higher than what is on the label (the dose for arthritis is very close to the maximum safe dose).  You should consult with a vet for the appropriate dose for your pet."

There is lots more to learn about osteoarthritis in my dog, and how to treat and prevent it, but it is amazing to know that Roosevelt Vet on the Hudson is on my team with this, as we take steps to improve Gerdy's life. I wish I had started her on Dasuquin and Omega3 supplements earlier!

[a Partner Post with Roosevelt Vet on the Hudson]


No comments:

Post a Comment