Thursday, February 20, 2014

Weekend Drive: Woody's Farm to Table in Cornwall, NY

Deep in the hundred acre woods of Cornwall, NY, is Woody's Farm to Table restaurant. Don't let this sign fool you: "Woody's All Natural Burger and Fries". They have an expansive menu inside of chicken sandwiches, grilled cheeses, soups, a lobster roll??

Yes. A lobster roll from the fresh catches of the icy waters of Maine. In fact, most of their fresh meat is from Maine. Which is fascinating about a little restaurant in the Hudson Valley because who would have thought they'd know the secrets of Maine's locally produced food? I know I do because I'm a wanna-be Mainer in the summer when we drive up for vacation.

Speaking of driving, we took a family drive to Woody's to sample their burger, fries and a milkshake. The first hint that it would be good was the vintage looking soda fountain in the front, offering cream sodas of many flavors from Boylan Bottling.

And the burger? So good. So good that I forgot to take a picture of it before gobbling it down. Served on a brioche bun (which I normally fear in a burger because I don't like my burgers too "bunny"), the bun was soft and buttery. The lettus and sliced tomato were crisp, yet complimented the cooked burger. So happy was I, that I couldn't share it with my daughter, which was fine because she was too distracted by the chocolate fudge swirl milkshake.

The grilled cheese was...ok...nothing memorable but certainly worth eating the leftovers on. Why were there leftovers? Because my kids also devoured the fries, which might have been hand cut, and cooked perfectly. Sometimes an order of fries at a burger joint is bountiful and you can split them. At Woody's you'll want to order your own side of fries.

Overall: Worth the drive, and even better in snowy weather on a full belly!

No comments:

Post a Comment