Saturday, January 15, 2011

Maple Hill Creamery Yogurt Substituted in Hollandaise Alternative Recipe

plain Maple Hill Creamery YogurtYum...My hubby wanted a steak for dinner, and I wanted to contribute something zesty to the flavor of steak and mashed potatoes we were about to enjoy. We had broccoli in the fridge (bought at Beacon Natural Market), and I wanted a Hollandaise sauce to top it. I googled up my friends the Purcell Sisters to see if they had a Hollandaise recipe, and they had something better - a 10minute alternative of their own creation called the Lemony Dipping Sauce.

The Lemony Dipping Sauce is based on sour cream and mayo. But we didn't have sour cream. We did have plain Maple Hill Creamery Yogurt (local to Little Falls, NY), also purchased from Beacon Natural Market. I checked with the Purcell Sisters on Facebook to see if yogurt would suffice as a substitute, and they replied that it might, but since it's not as thick as sour cream, it might be a thinner dip. Not having had the dip to compare, I must say that plain Maple Hill Creamery Yogurt is quite creamy and thick for yogurt, which is just the way I like it! So...I think a good substitute!

Results? My husband said after eating a piece of broccoli: "First bite: awesome."

His next comment, after bumming himself out that he didn't buy himself a sirloin because he was visually tricked into thinking that a big juicy Chuck would be as good: "The sauce is the best part of the whole dinner." Though I liked my steak, and my mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon and nutmeg, The Purcell Sister's alternative Hollandaise sauce was definitely the most sophisticated flavor on the plate, and made eating that broccoli darn easy.

Thanks Purcell Sisters and Maple Hill Creamery!

No comments:

Post a Comment